Black Is Tech Conference 2020 Postponement: Coronavirus. A message to attendees and the general public.
Last week, we sent out an email providing our ticket holders with some announcements and information on the Black Is Tech Conference 2020. We also mentioned in that email that we were monitoring updates and news regarding the recent Coronavirus outbreak in the country and that we would make the necessary decision that prioritizes the safety and wellbeing of our attendees and the general public.
For the rest of last week, we carefully followed news on the virus to weigh in the possibility of still holding the Conference as scheduled.
Today, due to increased worry and a rising number of cases around the country, we regret to announce that the Black Is Tech Conference 2020 has been postponed to a later time in the Summer of this year when we believe that the virus would have been contained. We were really looking forward to holding the Conference as scheduled but at the same time, we want to have an event where everyone feels safe and is safe.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this postponement. We will be back in the summer for an even more amazing conference.
Here are some announcement and updates following the postponement:
1. NEW DATES: We will carefully follow news and updates on the virus in the next coming weeks to determine the new dates for the Conference. Once we have confirmed dates, we will relay that information.
In the interim, we are turning off all ticket sales for the next couple weeks until we confirm tentative new dates for the Conference. We’ll announce once ticket sales resume.
2. TICKETS: All purchased tickets will be applied towards the new Conference dates. In the event that you are unable to attend for any reason when the new dates are announced, you’ll be able to apply your purchased ticket(s) towards the 2021 Conference or request a refund.
All present ticket holders retaining their tickets for the summer event will also automatically get a free general admission ticket to the 2021 Conference. If you are retaining your ticket, you wouldn’t need to contact us. Your ticket will automatically apply towards the new dates and we will send you an additional free general admission ticket for the 2021 Conference once ticket sales open immediately following the 2020 Conference.
To request a refund once the new dates are announced, simply send us an email to email@example.com and our team will follow up and ensure you receive your funds in a timely manner.
If you are unable to attend the Conference on the new summer dates but wish to transfer your ticket to a colleague, friend or family member, we will assist in making the transfer.
3. TRAVEL/ACCOMMODATION: If you already purchased your flight tickets to NYC for the Conference, many airlines are now allowing tickets to be applied towards a future flight at no extra charge. Contact your airline and inform that a Conference you planned to attend in NYC has been cancelled due to the virus. Request that they hold the value of your ticket towards a future flight.
If you already reserved a room with our official hotel (AC Hotel by Marriot New York, Downtown), you can call or email the hotel to cancel the booking at no extra charge or apply it towards the future dates of the Conference. Here’s the number or email to call:
Rita Aronstein at firstname.lastname@example.org or (646) 928–7271.
If you booked with any other hotels in the New York area, most hotels are also allowing cancellations at no charge.
4. RECRUITMENT: For those still interested in getting their next job with one of our amazing sponsor companies, we plan to launch the recruitment portal as initially planned. We are in the process of onboarding all our sponsor companies and will have the portal officially open by the 3rd - 4th week of this month. We’ll send a follow-up announcement once the portal is live.
This gives you the opportunity begin talking to recruiters or possibly get hired at one of your favorite companies while you prepare for the Conference in the summer.
5. TICKET NAME CHANGES: If you still wish to change the name on tickets you purchased or add names to a group, please do send us the following information for all ticket holders: Full Name, Job Position and Company.
We delayed the ticket changes until we make this announcement. We’ll begin making changes requested from this week.
We do thank you for your understanding with regards to our decision to postpone the Conference and hope to see you in the Summer. We’ll continue to provide updates and ensure that you have as much information leading to the Conference this summer. Stay safe and we wish you and your friends and families continued health.
-The Black Is Tech Team.